What documents do you need?

The real estate agent acts as a liaison between the notary and the seller, asking the seller to provide all of the documents that the notary requires. For the most part, there are five documents that the notary will require:
  • Atto di provenienza (ownership titles of the house)
  • Floor plan of the house
  • Visura catastale (cadastral document of the house)
  • Attestato di prestazione energetica (energy certificate)
  • Building permits if the house was built after September 1967
  • Seller(s) and buyer(s) identification documents: passports and tax codes.

Once the notary has received all required documents, he’ll do several additional searches to make sure the house has no registered debt, mortgages, loans, etc. He’ll also check the titles of the house for the previous twenty years in order to trace the ownership history and to make sure that third parties cannot claim rights to the home.
In some cases, it’s possible that the documents may present small problems. For example, a floor plan may end up slightly different than the real layout of the house. In most of these situations, however, the remedy is relatively simple. For example, in this case, the seller would simply need to update the floor plan so that it is in complete accordance with the real layout of the house.

Once the notary has obtained all of the necessary documents and is fully satisfied with them, they will issue an estimate, which will include their fees and the purchase taxes that the buyer must pay on the day of the final signing. The transfer taxes are paid to the notary, who will then transfer them to the government when they register the deed.

< back | next >